Google Map of Tilton on the hill

Timeline of Events

Pre 19th Century

1086 Tilton, Halstead, Marefield and Whatborough mentioned in Domesday book

19th Century

1840 Rev. Gerrard Nevile, of Cottesmore becomes vicar
1844 Village school built on land donated by H.Nevile, a relation of the Vicar
1854 Church extensively renovated and replastered
1856 New Vicarage built for Gerard Nevile by his brother of Cottesmore
1863 Stained Glass window inserted in church in memory of Rosamond Neville, the vicar's wife
bef. 1871 Rev. Gerrard Nevile remarries to Sophia, born Florence, Italy; A British Subject
1874 Rev. William Chippendale becomes vicar, Rev. Nevile retires to 15 Somerset Place, Walcot, Somerset

20th Century

1938 Electricity arrives in the village
1968 New Village Hall built
1971/1973 New Village School built. The old village school continues to be used for Sunday School for several years
c1982 Old Village store closed
2002 Village School Closed
2003 launched
2004 Village School demolished
2005 Broadband arrives in Tilton!